Mary Berry’s carrot and walnut cake with cream cheese icing recipe
With Nadiya Hussain winning the Great British Bake Off why not try your own baking skills and create a beautiful cake this Autumn/Winter … Our favourite is Mary Berry’s Carrot and Walnut cake with cream cheese served with a nice pot of Twining’s English Afternoon Tea …
Mary Berry Carrot & Walnut Cake
For this classic carrot cake recipe, it’s important to use full-fat cream cheese for the icing; if you use a low-fat version, the icing will just run off the cake. Carrot cake is beautifully moist, so keeps well. If your kitchen is warm, store the cake in the fridge.
- Cuisine English
- Recipe Type Cake
- Difficulty Easy
- Preparation time 15 mins
- Cooking time 35 mins
- Serves 8 people
- 250 ml (8.8fl oz)sunflower oil
- 4 large eggs
- 225 g (7.9oz) light muscovado sugar
- 200 g (7.1oz) carrots, peeled and coarsely grated
- 300 g (10.6oz) self-raising flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground mixed spice
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 75 g (2.6oz) walnuts, shelled and chopped, plus 8 halves to decorate
For the icing
- 50 g (1.8oz) butter (room temperature)
- 25 g (0.9oz) icing sugar
- 250 g (8.8oz) full-fat cream cheese (room temperature)
- 3 drops of vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (fan 160°C/350°F/Gas 4). Grease two deep 20cm (8in) round sandwich tins and line the bases of the cake tins with baking parchment.
- In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients for the cake mixture as shown below. Spoon the mixture evenly between the tins.
- Put the cakes in the oven and bake for about 35 minutes, or until golden brown, risen, and shrinking away from the sides of the tins. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Make the icing: measure the butter, icing sugar, cream cheese, and vanilla extract into a bowl and whisk using a hand or electric whisk until smooth and thoroughly blended.
- Spread half the icing on one cake, sit the other cake on top, and spread the remaining icing on top to make a swirl pattern. Decorate the top of the cake with the halved walnuts.
To see all of Mary Berry’s GBBO Recipes visit: http://www.maryberry.co.uk/recipes/great-british-bake-off-recipes